Et Van Morrison chantait...

Page 2 sur 6 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Suivant

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

New York, March 2009

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 16:31

Bill Horton le 22/03/2009

Van Morrison était à New York pour une série de concerts et en a profité pour faire la promo de son récent « Astral Weeks Live at The Hollywood Bowl ».

Pour l’Irlandais, donner des interviews et participer à l’une ou l’autre émission télé, je ne sais pas, c’est comme si Springsteen acceptait l’invitation au Superbowl (ah bon, il l’a fait aussi!?)

Toujours aussi mal à l’aise en interview et assez piètre orateur, il faut entendre Van répondre à la question de comment remédier à la panne d’inspiration: il souffle avant d’expliquer qu’il prend une feuille blanche et attend que quelque chose arrive; tu parles d’une révélation !

En revanche, quand le journaliste fait remarquer à Van, alors qu’il confesse être quelqu’un de très introverti, qu’il vit pourtant une vie publique, cela le fait réagir:

"Ma musique vit une vie publique, moi pas tant que ça, j’ai toujours rejeté cet aspect de mon métier, je me considère comme un observateur extérieur.
Je suis un introverti dans un business extraverti. Et c’est un gros problème pour moi, comme marcher en permanence sur une corde raide."

On y retrouve aussi l’anecdote concernant l’invitation à sa nomination au Rock’n’roll Hall Of Fame, que Van allait être le premier à décliner (comme les Sex Pistols, des années plus tard)

Pourtant, ils avaient fait les choses bien, puisque c’est son copain Robbie Robertson du Band qui faisait le speech d’intronisation en soulignant « the outstanding body of work » mais Van ne s’est jamais présenté à ce qu’il considère comme une célébration n’ayant que très peu de chose à voir avec le Rock’n’roll: « I just didn’t believe in it, the Institution ».

Une dernière citation pour ceux qui se demandent si Van allait persister dans ce type de projet à la dimension nostalgique:

You've documented the Holllywood Bowl shows on both CDs and DVD. Given your long-standing passion for live shows, as well as the now substantial catalog of live Morrison recordings, can we expect any more projects that use a specific album as a touchstone?

Van Morrison:No.

http://music.msn.com/features/van-morrison/revisting-astral-weeks/?ptid=688b8927-4ea8-4011-8eba-9cbe17f75a72&mpc=2

Van Morrison: Out on the Slipstream
'Astral Weeks': Revisiting a Classic

Van Morrison revisits the genesis for his classic 1968 album, "Astral Weeks,' and its 2008 rebirth in a live concert setting.

MSN: The Hollywood Bowl concerts marked the 40th anniversary for the original release of "Astral Weeks," but you've emphasized that you view these new live concert settings as an entirely new project. How are you approaching this material anew?

Van Morrison: These songs were mostly written before '68 over a long period of time -- and it was a lot of really hard work, structuring and forming the story lines. The songwriting is complex. This material has been heralded in over 200 publications as the "Best This" and "Top Album That" and I thought I would finally get around to doing the album like I had always wanted to do [it], but never did 'cause I did not have the money to -- with full orchestration.

I had written some string arrangements I wanted utilized onstage in a live situation. I approach this music like every other piece of music: It's fresh and I make it new with a tweak here and a tweak there. The dynamics of the compositions allow for this music to have something added here and there and they become all new in approach and meaning, as the meaning is with the listener, it means whatever they want it to mean. The lyrics are movielike and fictional stories, so it can all be changed around to create [a] multidimensional listening experience, which is one thing for one person and another thing for another person and something diametrically different to me. This is what song craft is -- to take something and go where it takes you.

When did you decide you would revisit the album? You've mentioned the passing of the great Connie Kay, the Modern Jazz Quartet drummer that anchored the rhythm section in the studio sessions, as one catalyst. Had you thought about revisiting the album earlier?

Not really, but the dynamics of the music are really challenging, complex and interesting and I thought I probably should go ahead and do this record right like I had wanted it from the beginning. The arrangements had a lot of room for me to do what I do with them and create a fuller sound. Live is the very best way for these songs to come alive. I did not want any engineer messing with the raw, in-the-moment sound from the stage, and that is why this "Astral Weeks Live" record has a lot of alchemy going on. The life of it, the heartbeat of it, is in the moment -- it comes alive. On this record, I was not going to let some engineer come in and mess with the original sound. I wanted this live, raw and alive. I think I accomplished what I wanted with this record. It comes alive in a big way for me. I hope this translates to the listeners.

After 40 years of not doing most of these songs, I only held one rehearsal before the Hollywood Bowl shows. I think a lot of people do not realize there was only one short rehearsal for the band before I hit the stage. I think this gave me a bit of an edge this music required to come out like it did.

For the original sessions, you enlisted jazz masters such as Kay, bassist Richard Davis and guitarist Jay Berliner and encouraged them to embark on extended improvisations. By all accounts, the core of those tracks -- rhythm section, vibes, guitars and flute -- was cut live. How did you balance that spontaneity with your underlying goals as a songwriter?

On the original, just like the new one, we all just went in and did it. That is why there is a presence in both records that is hard to explain. On the original session, I was this 22 year old and we were just all thrown in a room and the "record" button was pushed and we went with it, just like at the Hollywood Bowl.

But the original sessions were basically just jam sessions and I worked my voice around all the jamming going on with my own voice in sort of its own jam session to make it work. The only one who actually somewhat followed my vision and arrangements on both records was Jay Berliner. He is a brilliant guitarist with an ear and aptitude to actually follow what I am doing, unlike most others who have to literally wing it.

"Astral Weeks" was received by many listeners as a song cycle. Yet you've also stressed that the material was written during the course of several years, and that a key force here was allowing stream of consciousness to shape much of the writing, especially on the title song: The very opening line points toward that "channeling" that you've discussed over the years. Can you tell us how you discovered and nurtured that instinct?

It's the organic, natural process for me. I think it's essential to have a channeling process to be a songwriter. It's an instinct for the correlations and dynamic and the telling of a storybook melody that will take some people one place and others somewhere else. And sometimes it is too sophisticated for others who simply do not have the aptitude to "get it," so they will not have the experience of being on a mystical journey with it.

I guess it is instinct. How does one hone in on instinct rather than by knowing how to be, how to see, how to absorb impressions around one, filter it through the subconscious into writing, putting the impressions to paper? It's knowing and hearing how to craft structure and how to create space. This is the place where one can feel the silence, and hear what may or may not be there. Some people have called it magic. I call it the alchemy, essential for a songwriter and a wordsmith who is swirling and driving. And then sometimes a subtle melody driving the song home, wherever that may or may not be.

Your studio recordings with the group Them and on your own up to that point were dominated more by blues and R&B, leading some listeners to regard the jazz elements of "Astral Weeks" as a new direction for you. Was that a fair assessment? Or was jazz already part of your vocabulary?

No, that is not accurate. I just do what I do and I play what I feel like playing, where I am led to go. I do not require a label or an adjective to describe any place I go musically. Those are just useless labels that serve no purpose to my music. It is what it is and it is not predetermined by me like 'Oh, I think I want this blues' or 'Oh, this is jazz'. Actually most times, it's all of the styles combined! And there are a lot of classical elements to "Astral Weeks" and no one seems to want to click in to that fact.

The studio version of "Astral Weeks" received only checkered commercial acceptance here in the United States on its first release but has since achieved legendary stature. Given that the album was reportedly cut in just a handful of sessions, did you know when you finished that you had, in fact, realized a classic?

Actually the original [and] this new live version were both cut in one take, one session, one shot.

I did not know I had done anything but a lot of hard work in both regards. As a serious writer and songsmith, I never worry about whether what I have done or created meets any expectation but my own. How could I and be genuine or authentic? Otherwise, it would ruin whatever magic streams come in and out of my consciousness. Channeling has to be an organic process not contrived or forced.

At the Bowl, you not only combined the classics from "Astral Weeks" with signature songs from other periods in your career but also changed the set list order on both nights. Were this tied to the goal of treating the songs as living things and not museum pieces?

I did not have such a set goal. I subconsciously chose the order as I see that it created a story line that ended with "Listen to the Lion." I guess the lion is me. I require an audience that follows with sophistication and an audience that knows how to listen.

You've documented the Holllywood Bowl shows on both CDs and DVD. Given your long-standing passion for live shows, as well as the now substantial catalog of live Morrison recordings, can we expect any more projects that use a specific album as a touchstone?

No. As I said, this was not a wholly conceived or predetermined. It's just what I wanted to do and then I thought, let's film and see what it looks like. I liked what I saw for a change, so I am releasing the concert film. It's shot like a major motion picture, not just a hokey, cut-rate DVD. We added some interview footage. ... Since I do not like interviews and have shunned the press, I thought this is now the time I give my word. My word, I think, should trump all the false books that have been written as none even wanted myY participation about me. I thought this music is sophisticated and maybe the weary world might like to have something complex to listen to that brings them back from the place that a brainwashed society has perhaps lead them into while they were too busy working and making ends meet and worrying about the inevitable. This music can take you wherever the listener chooses to go with it, if that part people can find.

If you were going into a studio tomorrow to cut the "Astral Weeks" songs for the first time, and you could tap any musician, past or present, to be in that band, who would you pick?

Me, God and hopefully intuitive direction.

An Irishman in America: Van Morrison performs in 1970, the year he would release his third solo album, the classic "Moondance." (Magdalinksi-Dalle-Retna/Retna Ltd.)

Van Morrison onstage in 1972, during his sojourn as a transplant in California's Marin County. Live shows have been a cornerstone to Morrison's career since his teens. (Michael Putland/Retna Ltd.)

Van Morrison performs in 1975. Horns have been a fixture in Morrison's live bands throughout his solo career, reflecting his immersion in blues, R&B and jazz sources, with Morrison's own sax work buttressed by other brass and woodwind players. (David Ellis/Retna Ltd.)

Van Morrison onstage in 1978. (David Ellis/Retna Ltd.)

Van Morrison in a portrait from 1989. (Michael Putland/Retna Ltd.)

JC

Localisation : Quelquepart entre Woodstock, Asbury Park, Haight Ashbury, Detroit, Muscle Shoals & Memphis...
Album préféré : The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Steve Van Zandt et l'influence de Van Morrison sur le E Street Band débutant

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 16:45

Bill Horton le 08/04/2009

Steve Van Zandt à propos de Van Morrison (évidemment, comme d'habitude, les propos de Steve n'engage que lui )

http://wordpress.hotpress.com/petermurphy/2008/10/11/tonight-in-jungleland/

“You accept Van Morrison as a native son right?’ he says. “‘Gloria’ has become the co-national anthem of garage rock along with ‘Louie Louie’. As obstreperous as he can be, in spite of himself, he’s become quite a hero. I consider Them the archetype garage band actually, there’s been some controversy about who played on the record, but we tend to ignore those things. And he hasn’t been very helpful in that regard!”

Was Van much of an influence on the E Street Band in the early days?

“As a solo artist? Yeah, when I first knew Bruce we were listening to Astral Weeks and things like that. It became an early influence that would surface from time to time, it was one of those things that stayed quite deep in the DNA. At first it was the garage thing, and then he had a certain sort of singer-songwriter poetry sort of impact, and then he had a very significant R&B impact. So he had a very significant influence in at least three areas, and that remains I think with Bruce to this day.”

JC

Localisation : Quelquepart entre Woodstock, Asbury Park, Haight Ashbury, Detroit, Muscle Shoals & Memphis...

God Bless Van Morrison!

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 16:47

Bill Horton le 05/06/2009

A l'heure ou les grands noms du rock (comme Springsteen, Fogerty, Neil Young etc...etc...) tournent de plus en plus fréquemment (la chute des ventes de cds n'étant sans doute pas tout à fait étrangère à ce fait), Van Morrison -qui a peut être pratiqué le 'never ending tour' avant même que Dylan ne l'invente- se fait plus rare sur scène (juste deux dates prévues prochainement) et préfère pour l'instant se consacrer à l'écriture.

Le vieil irlandais ne fera jamais rien exactement comme tout le monde.

God bless Van Morrison!

JC

HYMNS TO THE SILENCE

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 16:49

Bill Horton le 30/07/2009

La cinquantaine en vue, en tout cas plus de quarante cinq ans au compteur à ce moment là, autant dire que Van Morrison passait déjà pour un vétéran, voire un has been. Surtout aux yeux de la presse, que de toutes façons il snobait conciensieusement.

Ainsi, le temps qu'il ne consacrait pas à des séances photos ou à des interviews anecdotiques, Van l'occupait à composer et à écrire.

Alors que Springsteen, encore considéré comme vert à ce moment là, nous faisait profiter de sa 'Human Touch', Van, déjà bien plus de vingt albums au compteur, ne ralentissait pas le rythme, au début des années 90, et proposait même un double album de fort belle tenue: 'Hymns To The Silence'.

Richesse mélodique, variété de styles, profondeur de l'inspiration pour un album à la fois très personnel et tout à fait universel; un album fleuve qui ne compte toutefois que très peu de remplissage, pour un artiste à ce stade de sa carrière en tout cas.

Les titres somptueux abondent: 'I'm Not Feeling It Anymoore', 'Why Must I Always Explain' sur la difficulté de continuer et 'Carrying A Torch' sur la nécessité de cette continuité.
'On Hynford Street', 'Take Me Back' sont de vertigineuses plongées autobiographiques dans l'enfance à la recherche d'un paradis perdu (sans doute fantasmé) face auquel le monde d'aujourd'hui et l'age adulte ne peuvent rivaliser.

Enfin, les saisons qui défilent sur le magnifique 'I Need Your Kind Of Loving' final.

Les albums de Van défilaient, eux aussi, au rythme des saisons à ce moment là, (il en sortira d'ailleurs des plus convaincants encore par la suite) mais on gardera une tendresse particulière pour ces odes au silence.

JC

IT's TOO LATE TO STOP NOW

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 16:52

M@rs le 31/07/2009

et celui là, il n'est pas fantastique ce live ? :top:

enregistré en 73 , sorti en 74...réedité en 2008 (2 LP 180gr)

JC

Van Morrison on YouTube / To Be Born Again

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:10

Bill Horton le 06/09/2009

M@RS a dit : et celui là, il n'est pas fantastique ce live ? :top:

Ce n'est pas moi qui vais te contredire ou alors cela serait pousser l'esprit de contradiction un peu loin

En parlant de Van live, le canal sur youtube qui lui est consacré se développe et est assez soigné ce qui est bien le minimum quand on se souvient qu'il avait fait appel à un Web Shérif afin d'expurger l'internet de tous les médias non officielles lui étant consacré et notamment sur le tube.

Il avait argué du fait que la qualité de ce qu'on y trouvait habituellement était vraiment trop médiocre selon ses critères et qu'il serait seul désormais à proposer ses propres vidéos afin de garantir une image et un son correct.

On en pense ce qu'on veut mais on y est, plus ou moins.

Il n'y a pas encore énormément de choses, le truc est mis à jour au compte goute. L'internet n'est évidemment pas une priorité de l'irlandais.

On peut cependant y voir la bande annonce d'un film qui va sortir l'année prochaine sur la relecture récente d'Astral Weeks par son auteur, chronique de ce qui a été finalement -de l'automne 2008 au printemsp 2009- la première présentation en concert de l'album de 68, puisqu'à l'époque Van était trop fauché pour emmener son disque en tournée.

Cela va s'appeler 'To Be Born Again', devrait sortir dans quelques salles de cinéma avant d'être plus largement diffusé en dvd.

En attendant, et pour en revenir à youtube, on peut pouvait éventuellement revoir quelques extraits vidéos du passé:

EDIT: tous les liens You Tube ont été supprimé, ainsi que le canal qu'il a lancé.

http://vanmorrisonnews.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-van-morrison-documentary-to-be-born.html

Monday, August 17, 2009

New Van Morrison Documentary, To Be Born Again, To Be Released in Early 2010
Rolling Stone

What started as a few shows to revisit Van Morrison’s 1968 classic Astral Weeks — an album he’d never previously performed live — has blossomed into a much larger celebration of the LP. First, Morrison turned a November 2008 performance in Los Angeles into the live film/album Astral Weeks: Live at the Hollywood Bowl. Now he’s on a full-blown Astral Weeks tour that will run at least through this fall, and there are more related releases in the near future: Morrison is so dedicated to his Astral Weeks revival that fans will be able to witness the entire year-long process of rediscovering the record in the forthcoming feature-length documentary To Be Born Again.

The film, slated for an early 2010 release, will draw from live performances, interviews, rehearsals and other behind-the-scenes footage, starting with the first Hollywood Bowl shows last fall. The doc features footage shot exclusively during the past year, and Morrison (who’s directing) is looking forward to finally telling his story the way he wants it to be told. “The film shows the real Van Morrison,” explains Darren Doane, the filmmaker who co-directed the Live at the Hollywood Bowl concert film and will be working alongside Morrison for the documentary. “It’s his film. And the film is about exposing and tearing down all the myths about Van Morrison and the music industry as a whole.”

Watch Preview of To Be Born Again

For Morrison, Astral Weeks — an album that sold poorly for years and was neglected by his record company upon its release — has stood as a metaphor for his long history of breaking boundaries and pushing artistic limits. “It received no promotion from Warner Bros. — that’s why I never got to play the songs live,” he told Rolling Stone last November. Reclaiming the album as his own through thrilling live performances during the past year has been a liberating experience for Morrison, whose recent Astral Weeks shows have been some of the most inspired performances of his whole career. Using Astral Weeks as his spiritual and artistic focus, Morrison has been revisiting other similarly overlooked portions from his immense catalog, performing breathtaking versions of rarities “Fair Play” and “Streets of Arklow” from the underappreciated 1974 album Veedon Fleece at recent shows in the Northeast.

As for other projects in the works, Morrison is, as always, writing new material but remains focused on his Astral Weeks revival, gearing up for a set of U.S. shows this fall while he puts the finishing touches on To Be Born Again. As Doane explains, the film will be “just one more aspect of Van creating.” As director of the film, Van Morrison is behind all of the creative decisions for the documentary and the film should unmistakably be a product of Morrison’s artistic vision. As Doane puts it, “It’s another 90-120 minutes of pure Van art.”
-Jon Bernstein The Pretender

Bill Horton le 14/09/2009

J'ajoute un lien video car on peut désormais visionner un nouveau montage de 'It Stoned Me', parsemé d'images d'archives parfois inédites (mais à la qualité parfois limite et souvent hors sujet)

Pour les vanatics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s38k5-yl1q4&feature=channel_page Lien mort

JC

THE HEALING GAME - 1997

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:15

Bill Horton le 27/09/2009

'The Healing Game' de 1997 est un bon album tardif de Van Morrison.

Il y a notamment un sublime 'Sometimes We Cry', une pure pépite soul digne de l'age d'or d'Atlantic.
Le titre bouleverse comme les meilleurs ballades rythm'n'blues de cette époque mais sans jamais les singer.

On ignore comment l'Irlandais détient encore le secret de telle chanson alors que, des comme ça, on en faisait plus depuis belle lurette à la fin des années 90.

Le titre a été repris quelques fois, notamment par Tom Jones qui en a fait un petit succès mais sans parvenir à en retrouver le secret, la version qui figure sur cet album restant the real deal.

Shana Morrison, la fille de Van, a également repris la chanson sur son album '7 Wishes'
Elle avait demandé à son père s'il voulait participer, ce qu'il accepta en ajoutant sa voix et son harmonica à la fin d'une version enregistré précédemment.
Cela fut une surprise pour Shana qui n'ignore pas que les overdubs horripilent son père au plus au point:

"He usually does things live in one take and is opposed to any over-dubbing. It just came about all of a sudden. I asked him to do it, and he said yes. Maybe he was in a good mood that day"

Dans un bon jour ou alors, tout simplement, il aime vraiment beaucoup sa fille
Mais ça évidemment ce n'est pas à elle de le proclamer. Elle a juste besoin de le savoir.

Sometimes we know, sometimes we don't
Sometimes we give, sometimes we won't
Sometimes we're strong, sometimes we're wrong
Sometimes we cry
Sometimes it's bad when the going gets tough
When we look in the mirror and we want to give up
Sometimes we don't even think we'll try
Sometimes we cry

Well we're gonna have to sit down and think it right through
If we're only human what more can we do
The only thing to do is eat humble pie
Sometimes we cry

'Fore they put me in a jacket, and they take me away
I'm not gonna fake it like Johnnie Ray
Sometimes we live, sometimes we die
Sometimes we cry

Sometimes we can't see anything straight
Sometimes everybody is on the make
Sometimes it's lonely on the lost highway
Sometimes we cry, sometimes we cry

Il y a encore d'autres chouettes choses sur cet album comme le retour de Van sur le Belfast de son enfance (et et sa tradition de chanteurs de rue) et le sax de Leo Green.
Mais bon, en même temps c'est juste un album de Van Morrison de plus.

JC

Closer - Anonymous, même combat ?

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:17

Bill Horton le 10/01/2010

La communauté des fans de Celtic Soul a été secoué récemment.

En effet Van Morrison, qui par ailleurs fait profil bas ces temps ci, (hormis bien entendu son 'never ending tour' à lui : il a des engagements aux Etats Unis fin du mois) a été victime d'une mauvaise blague à Noël.

Son site officiel a été piraté pour annoncer la naissance d'un fils (Van a déjà été papa deux fois récemment, avec Michelle Rocca, sa compagne depuis une vingtaine d'année à présent) mais qui serait le fruit d'une relation extra-conjugale de l'irlandais.

Le Belfast Cowboy a évidemment pété les plombs avant de laisser un commentaire laconique sur son site officiel en lieu et place de la rumeur: "My private life is exactly that, it is private".

http://www.vanmorrison.com/

JC

Nevermore on page 3, non plus jamais ça...

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:22

CC Rider le 23/02/2010

Parce qu'il n'est pas sain de laisser ainsi ce topic descendre en page 3.

Ben oui quoi...

Moya Brennan, récompensée par un Grammy présente, interviews et performances exclusives par les Chieftains, Michael Flatley de Riverdance, U2, Pete Seeger, Sinéad O’Connor, le regretté Liam Clancy et bien d’autres. Avant-première en exclusivité dans la zone de New York, mercredi 17 février 2009 à 21 h 30 sur WLIW21. Les CD et DVD d’accompagnement au générique desquels figurent de grands noms de la musique irlandaise.

http://vimeo.com/9497110

Bill Horton

CC Rider a dit : Parce qu'il n'est pas sain de laisser ainsi ce topic descendre en page 3.

Ben oui quoi...

Ben oui, en effet

Ce n'est pas moi qui vais dire le contraire

Et ce, malgré une actualité inexistante du côté du Belfast Cowboy, depuis qu'a été dévoilé la vrai-fausse affaire concernant un soit disant nouveau né d'une histoire extra conjugale de l'irlandais.

Toujours est il que, depuis cette anecdote, Van Morrison s'est muré dans un silence encore plus impressionnant que d'habitude, annulant même pour l'occasion les quelques concerts qu'il avait prévu en ce début d'année.

Il a aussi fermé son site officiel et les vidéos postés sur youtube par sa maison de production (les trucs non officiels ayant déjà été éradiqué depuis belle lurette il était tranquille de ce côté là )

On imagine qu'internet a perdu le peu de crédit qu'il pouvait encore présenter aux yeux de Morrison (à supposer toutefois qu'il y trouvait encore un quelconque intérêt ce qui n'est pas certain du tout).

Sinon, aujourd'hui c'est le quarantième anniversaire de la parution de 'Moondance' et c'est la pleine lune. Et, d'une certaine manière, c'est tout ce qui compte.

JC

Tournée 2010 / Télérama

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:31

Bill Horton le 14/04/2010

Van Morrison reprend la route à la fin du mois.
Enfin!

Il avait littéralement disparu de la circulation à la fin de l'année dernière, quand a couru un certain nombre de rumeurs concernant sa vie privée.

Il annula, alors, des dates tournées, des apparitions en public, la sortie d'un documentaire en dvd et, accessoirement, fit fermer son site internet.

Jusqu'à ce jour, il fait sa Greta Garbo, un rôle qui lui va à merveille mais qu'il devrait donc abandonner, pour entamer une tournée américaine, le 30 avril à Austin.

En attendant, on peut éventuellement relire des chroniques de François Gorin, consacrées à trois albums classiques de Van:

Astral Weeks

Entre le moment où il laisse les Them en plan à Belfast et celui où il revient en Irlande écrire Astral Weeks, Van Morrison passe un an et plus à New York. En trois jours, il grave un paquet de morceaux pour Bert Berns et son label Bang!, lesquels feront régulièrement surface sous divers assemblages, pochettes et formats. Dans le lot, l'incroyable T.B. Sheets et deux brouillons de l'album en germe : Beside you et Madame George, dans des arrangements très différents du raffinement jazzy à venir.

To be born again, chante Morrison au début d'Astral Weeks. Son acte de renaissance est le récit d'une vie antérieure assez riche pour irriguer des chansons-fleuve. Et quand elles sont courtes, elles ont l'éclat du feu (ou de la neige). Je me souviens de mon bras de fer avec Beside you, ça passait ou ça cassait, j'avais l'âge où Morrison déjà chantait, je n'étais pas habitué à une telle présence physique de la voix, d'une intensité presque gênante. Je me perdais dans l'espace moins confiné de Cyprus Avenue, chez Madame George, à jamais embarqué. The way young lovers do m'agrippait déjà mieux qu'aucune autre. Avec la sèche légèreté de l'intro (Take five !), le flux des mots, we strolled the fields all wet with rain / and back along the lane again… les poils se dressent rien que de les taper. Ainsi couraient donc les jeunes amours dans la campagne irlandaise.

Pourquoi la voix s'acharne-t-elle à déchirer la brume du souvenir ? Peur de la nostalgie ? Pour toujours la chanson sera brutalement présente. A-t-on entendu quelqu'un dire ainsi I love you ? Van Morrison a la madeleine féroce. Pas du gâteau : de la viande qu'il dévore tout cru, avec les cuivres aux fesses maintenant. D'autres essaieront de retrouver ce feel écorchant la douceur : Maria McKee, un soir au Bataclan, chérubine endiablée : oui ! Jeff Buckley, un peu plus tard : bien essayé, jeune homme au beau ramage. Van the Man lui-même au Hollywood Bowl l'an dernier : passons…

Moondance

Astral Weeks n'est pas seulement l'album de Van Morrison le plus riche en émotions fortes et en finesse musicale. C'est aussi le programme de ce qui va suivre. L'allusion du titre au « plan astral » anticipe les dérives cosmico-spirituelles assez fumeuses qui mèneront ce type apparemment très terrien vers le new age et la scientologie (il en reviendra). Le mix, inédit jusque là, de swing, folk et soul (et encore, a-t-on fait le tour avec ces trois mots ?) est un filon que l'ombrageux propriétaire de la mine saura seul creuser. Sans jamais aller aussi profond qu'au premier coup ? Pour en être sûr il faut explorer la copieuse discographie de Morrison sans faire trop d'impasses, et on peut s'y user.

En 1970, le jeune homme est beau, amoureux et quasi américain. Il a un contrat chez Warner. Il sort deux albums la même année, le meilleur est Moondance. Plus facile à l'oreille qu'Astral Weeks (typiquement le genre de grand cru corsé qu'on n'avale pas à tous les repas), c'est le versant bucolique du barde échevelé. And it stoned me est une belle brique pour commencer à construire une maison imaginaire appelée celtic soul.

On l'entendait sur la sono juste avant que Dexys Midnight Runners ne prenne la scène au début des années 80. Kevin Rowland est l'un des rares disciples avérés de Morrison (avec Cathal Coughlan, dont on reparlera aussi). Mais Moondance, le morceau, est imparable. Il est assez plaisant d'écouter la voix de rogomme emprunter un peu de l'élégance du crooner, comme par inadvertance. Le thème est celui de You'd be so nice to come home to, de Cole Porter, dont Julie London a déposé la version de référence. Van ne se privait pas d'enchaîner les deux en concert (ou avec My funny Valentine, voir l'excellent A night in San Francisco). On peut danser là-dessus… Connie Kay, le batteur du Modern Jazz Quartet, n'est plus là (il réapparaît sur Tupelo Honey) mais le swing onctueux fait avec l'âpreté du chant un parfait cocktail.

Tupelo Honey

Tupelo, c'est là qu'est né Elvis Presley. Honey, c'est un doux nom, pour le miel ou quelqu'un. Au milieu de la pochette vanille de Tupelo Honey, une photo bucolique aux tons roux : Van Morrison et, sur un cheval, une fille aux cheveux longs. C'est Janet Planet, sa femme alors. De leurs années d'idylle naissent des chansons moins orageuses. En 1971, le couple vit dans une maison à Woodstock, avec plein de voisins musiciens. De temps en temps, Van Morrison va taper le bœuf à l'improviste. Un jour il toque chez les camarades de The Band, l'ex et futur groupe de tournée de Bob Dylan. Quelques bouteilles plus tard, ça donne 4% Pantomime, un épique duel de voix déchirées dont il reste trace sur l'album du Band Cahoots. On entend Richard Manuel interpeller Van : Belfast cowboy ! Le sobriquet aura un certain succès.

Morrison voulait dit-on un Tupelo Honey 100% country. L'ambiance est bien campagnarde mais l'objet n'échappe pas à la règle qui veut qu'aucun album de Van Morrison n'appartienne à un genre, pour la simple raison que Van Morrison est un genre musical à lui tout seul. Wild Night, c'est la fête. La basse commence à danser la première. L'énergie du tempo est communicative : un truc bondissant, pas le trot country traditionnel. Le chanteur a la voix déjà chaude. Une ou deux gorgées de boisson rousse ont dû lui rincer le gosier.

Je me souviens du choc euphorique d'entendre Wild Night surgir dans un petit film en noir et blanc fort sympathique, anglais, une histoire d'entraîneur de boxe essayant de remettre une bande de jeunes chiens fous dans le droit chemin. Twentyfour Seven, de Shane Meadows (1997). Tupelo Honey avait un an quand Meadows est né. Sa mère peut-être écoutait Wild Night en l'attendant. Elle dansait, elle avait les cheveux longs, les mots sweet romance et les cuivres lui coulaient dessus, je n'en sais rien. Janet Planet, ça on le sait, a quitté Van Morrison en 1973. Et l'envie de faire la fête un peu aussi ?

Veedon Fleece

Caledonia est un totem, un fétiche, un pays portatif que Van Morrison trimballe partout où il va. Comme le juif est errant, l'Irlandais est baladeur. Veedon Fleece est enregistré dans les Caledonia Studios en Californie (et aussi à New York), pour les Caledonia Productions, chansons publiées chez Caledonia Soul Music. Le portrait de l'artiste, assis sur une pelouse verte entre deux chiens de berger coiffés comme lui, parle de Grande-Bretagne éternelle.

Sur le disque à l'intérieur, Morrison s'est fait la voix d'Al Green ici ou là. Un falsetto visant moins le ciel du gospel que fouaillant l'âme blessée. Puis retombe sur ses pattes et son timbre habituel. Une flûte souffle un air celtique (Streets of Arklow) ou renoue avec les méditations fiévreuses et jazzy d'Astral Weeks, en roue libre (You don't pull no punches, but you don't push the river). Cul de sac indique sans doute l'état d'esprit de son auteur, pas loin de la dépression. Après la parution de cet album assez largement boudé par fans et critiques, il fera un gros break de trois ans, jusqu'à envisager de tout arrêter, de larguer les amarres loin de ce business haï et de ces chansons où il se mortifie.

Avec les années, Veedon Fleece est venu se ranger vers le haut de la pile. Superbement désolé, il donne son meilleur à la fin. Avant le brouillard élégiaque de Country Fair, où la voix s'évapore, Come here my love est la plus courte (2 mn 18) mais si puissamment nue que le reste pâlit en comparaison. Chez Morrison, la mélancolie est en briques, on ne peut pas passer au travers. Complainte amère de troubadour cassé, plus soul que ce morceau juste habillé folk (une guitare), tu meurs. Nick Drake, où es-tu ? Pas très loin. John Martyn aussi s'est promené par là. Come here, my love, dit-il… Mais l'immobilité de la chanson ne suggère aucun geste. Elle est loin, déjà, celle qu'il appelle. Si loin que forcer la voix ne servirait à rien. Alors Van marmonne et c'est beau à pleurer.

On peut aussi, plus indispensablement, se replonger dans ces albums en les glissant dans le mange disque.

JC

BANG Sessions (suite)

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:34

CC Rider le 23/04/2010

Que c'est sain ce rapport avec la discrétion qu'entretient le vieux barde Smile

J'ai une question de spé mon BIll: j'achète ça "New York Sessions '67" ou ça "Payin' Dues" pour avoir une compil complète de ses 1er travaux post Them?
Je suis tombé sur "T.B. Sheets" cette nuit à la radio (Nova à 1h42 du matin...ça se mérite du Van the Man à la radio), et je ne peux plus vivre sans ce titre un instant de plus...

Bill Horton

Sur cette période, post Them/pré Astral Weeks, je te recommanderai vivement les 'Bang Masters' .

C'est sur Epic distribué via Sony Legacy: donc pochette correcte, tracklist généreuse, et remaster soigné.

Cela ne m'étonnerait qu'à moitié que la version T.B. Sheets que tu as entendu l'autre soir soit tirée de ce cd ci.

1. Brown Eyed Girl
2. Spanish Rose
3. Goodbye Baby (Baby Goodbye)
4. Ro Ro Rosey
5. Chick-A-Boom
6. It's All Right
7. Send Your Mind
8. Smile You Smile
9. Back Room
10. Midnight Special
11. T.B. Sheets
12. He Ain't Give You None [Alternate Take]
13. Who Drove the Red Sports Car
14. Beside You
15. Joe Harper Saturday Morning
16. Madame George
17. Brown Eyed Girl [Alternate Take]
18. I Love You (The Smile You Smile) [Mono Version]

JC

Livres

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:36

Bill Horton le 12/05/2010

HibbingSon a dit : Tu as vu ça, Dom?

Il y a deux livres qui paraissent, ces jours ci, autour de Van Morrison celui de Greil Marcus que tu as repéré et qui curieusement est publié sous deux couvertures différentes (selon qu'il s'agisse de l'édition relié ou broché, apparemment).

Le livre n'est pas une biographie mais une série d'impressions inspirées à l'auteur par l'écoute de Van Morrison

Ceux qui ont déjà lu Greil Marcus peuvent redouter un livre d'une lecture possiblement assommante.

http://fora.tv/2010/04/13/Greil_Marcus_Listening_to_Van_Morrison

Puis il y a un second livre intitulé 'Hymns to the Silence: Inside the Music and Lyrics of Van Morrison' par Peter Mills qui est une analyse de l'écriture de Van Morrison.

On est probablement en droit d'attendre quelque chose d'un peu plus intéressant de cet outsider (qui stupidement partage la même couverture que l'une des deux éditions du Greil Marcus: Van n'apprécie guère les séances de photos mais il y en a quand même suffisamment en circulation pour éviter ce genre de doublon).

Bref, ce ne sont que quelques spéculations pour l'instant, on attendra prudemment avant d'en dire un peu plus.
Peut être même avant d'en lire un peu plus.

JC

Van The Man...

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:41

Bill Horton le 18/10/2010

Un journaliste raconte un diner auquel il était convié, dans le cadre de son travail, et auquel participait également Van Morrison.

Le journaliste évidemment au courant de la réputation de l’irlandais, se montra très discret respectant l’intimité de l’artiste mais, à un moment donné, vers la fin du repas, il ne pu résister à l’envie de lui dire à quel point il appréciait son travail et à quel point sa musique avait changé sa vie.

Van, jusque là très détendu, se montre vite excédé et lâche un cinglant « What the fuck the peolple ever feel the need to tell me this ».
« Mais pourquoi diable les gens ressentent-ils à tout bout de champ le besoin de me dire ça »

Cette histoire est assez révélatrice de la manière dont Van envisage son rapport au public.
Pas vraiment le genre à signer un autographe ou à poser pour une photo à la sortie d’un hôtel.

Van Morrison est actuellement en tournée aux Etats Unis et continue de ne s’adresser à son public exclusivement depuis une scène. En musique.

Brewster

quand même un très grand névropath ce van !

Bill Horton

brewster a dit : quand même un très grand névropathe ce van !
C'est une façon de voir les choses.
Je ne la partage pas forcément, ce qui ne veut pas dire que l'irlandais n'est pas un peu cinglé à sa manière...

JC

Londres 2011

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:44

Bill Horton le 22/03/2011

Hasubn a dit : Tout d'abord une news, il sera en concert à Londres le 19 Juin 2011.

J' ouvre un topic ( dont j'étais sûr qu'il existait déjà) pour avoir des conseils sur lui.
Je n'ai écouté qu'un seul album, c'est Magic Time paru en 2006, que j'ai vraiment adoré( surtout Celtic New Year).
Non mais!

En tout cas, le concert a été annoncé il y a une semaine, en effet, alors que l'on avait plus aucune nouvelle de Van Morrison depuis un long moment (inhabituel pour lui, généralement en tournée assez régulièrement avec ou sans nouvel album).

Visiblement toujours en mode Greta Garbo (depuis que son site officiel avait été hacké afin de dévoiler une bizarroïde histoire de vrai/fausse paternité).
A suivre...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDLnjduwVE

JC

Pas sain...

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 17:47

Parce qu'il n'est pas sain de laisser ainsi ce topic descendre en page 5... de l'ancien forum. Wink

Merci Dom d'avoir aussi bien illustré la carrière du gars.
JC

Re: Et Van Morrison chantait...

Message  JC le Sam 28 Jan 2012 - 18:54

Bill Horton le 07/08/2008

La troisième fournée des rééditions d'une grande partie de la discographie de Van Morrison va se poursuivre le 30//09/08 - après deux premières vagues l'une en début d'année (29/01/08) l'autre en juin (30/06/08)

Cette fois, et avant une dernière série en janvier 2009, ce sont les sept titres ci dessous qui sont réédités et remasterisés:

A Period of Transition / 1977: Expanded Reissue

Now features The 'Street Only Knew Your Name' (alternative version) and 'Didn’t He Ramble' as previously-unreleased bonus tracks.

Beautiful Vision / 1982: Expanded Reissue

The album now features 'Cleaning Windows' (alternative take) 'and Real Real Gone' (alternative take) as previously-unreleased bonus tracks.

How Long Has This Been Going On / 1996: Expanded Reissue

This new version features 'Muleskinner Blues' and 'The Healing Game (Jazz Version)' as previously unreleased bonus tracks.

Hymns To The Silence / 1991: Expanded Reissue

It now features 'Ordinary Life' (alternative take) and 'Carrying A Torch' (alternative take) as previously unreleased bonus tracks.

Poetic Champions Compose / 1987: Expanded Reissue

Now features 'Alan Watts Blues' (alternative take) and 'I Forgot That Love Existed' (alternative take) as previously unreleased bonus tracks.

St Dominic's Preview / 1972: Expanded Reissue

Features 'Redwood Tree' (alternative take) and 'Brandy' as previously unreleased bonus tracks.

Tell Me Something / 1996: Expanded Reissue

Now features 'Look What The Good People Done' (alternative version) as previously unreleased bonus track.

En fait je voulais te poser une question au sujet de cette troisième salve de rééditions, elle n'est jamais sortie finalement ? Me trompe-je ? Ni la suivante ? C'est en standby cette affaire ?

Difficile d'avoir des infos comme il n'existe aucun site consacré à l'artiste... comme je regrette la fermeture du site de Michael...
JC

Message  #nicola# le Mer 22 Fév 2012 - 13:46

D'après ce site : http://www.fm-r.info/ qui est bien renseigné pour ce que j'ai pu lire,
Van Morrison sera en concert à Montreux, au festival.
(BB King également)
#nicola#

Born to Sing: No Plan B

Message  bill horton le Mar 26 Juin 2012 - 18:52

C'est un temps inhabituellement long qui vient de se dérouler depuis le dernier album de Van Morrison -selon ses critères à lui en tout cas- mais l'attente va prendre fin le 2 octobre.

'Keep It Simple' le dernier album en date remontait à 2008, son successeur 'Born to Sing: No Plan B' sortira donc à l'automne.
J'espère juste que ça valait le coup d'attendre aussi longtemps. Wink

Tracklist:

01. Open The Door (To Your Heart)
02. Going Down To Monte Carlo
03. Born To Sing
04. End Of The Rainbow
05. Close Enough For Jazz
06. Mystic Of The East
07. Retreat And View
08. If In Money We Trust
09. Pagan Heart
10. Educating Archie

bill horton

Angry Van?

Message  bill horton le Mar 3 Juil 2012 - 19:03

Si on en croit le communiqué de presse ci dessous, après Springsteen, Van Morrison semble aussi exprimer sa colère contre les excès des systèmes financiers et économiques.
Est ce que cela va faire un bon album ou au moins quelques bonnes chansons, rien n'est moins sur.
En tout cas tout cela semble assez incongrue de la part de Van qui ne s'est quasiment jamais aventuré sur le terrain du commentaire social.
Bah, il faut un début à tout... mr green

Van's new album 'Born To Sing: no plan B'
to be released in october

Van Morrison returns to Blue Note records for a new studio album 'Born To Sing: no plan B' released on october 1st. "No plan B means this is not a rehearsal," says morrison. "that’s the main thing—it’s not a hobby, it’s real, happening now, in real time."

This sense of absolute conviction, which has defined morrison's revolutionary work for almost fifty years, runs throughout the new record, his thirty-fifth studio album as a solo artist. morrison last album for blue note was the grammy nominated what’s wrong with this picture? in 2003.van says: "with most record companies being so corporate i am happy to be working with don was and the team at blue note. to have such a creative music person as the head of my recording label assures me that all the effort taken to write and record this new album will be rewarded with a music based focus and marketing approach. i look forward to many recording projects with don and blue note."

morrison's career—which has seen him honored with a brit award, an obe, an ivor novello, six grammys, honorary doctorates from queens university belfast and university of ulster, induction into the rock and roll hall of fame and the french ordres des artes et des lettres—has done nothing less than redefine the possibilities of pop music. the ten original songs on born to sing, his first new album in four years (the longest he has ever gone between recordings), reveal an artist continuing to test his creative parameters.

"they’re not all one thing," he says. "some are about the world crisis, others are more mystical. whatever ideas come in, there's no set abc of it. really, it wouldn’t be interesting if everything was set—there would be no surprises."

As morrison notes, perhaps the most striking thing on the new album is hearing him weigh in on the global financial and economic meltdown on several songs. his sense of outrage at the materialism and greed that have poisoned society first appears in the opening track, the breezy soul strut "open the door (to your heart)," when he sings "money doesn't make you fulfilled/money's just to pay the bills."

The theme recurs throughout born to sing, climaxing in the closer, "educating archie." the title refers to both a ventriloquist's dummy on a popular bbc radio show of morrison's youth and television's working-class anti-hero archie bunker, both representing the kind of average guy whom the singer warns, "you're a slave to the capitalist system/which is ruled by the global elite."

Morrison, never known as a protest singer, insists he's not taking a political stand. "i'm not protesting, i'm just observing what's happening—like lenny bruce said, 'observation, baby!,'" he says. "starting about two years ago, everybody was talking about money, money, money, and that's the way songs come about. whatever people are talking about, the ideas around you, that’s what you pick up."

Most fascinating might be "if in money we trust," a song-length meditation on the ways in which cash has replaced god at the centre of the modern belief system. "that came from looking at a dollar bill and turning the concept on its head," he says. "i thought, 'what is this stuff on here, what does it mean?' some people’s god is money, we’ve discovered that about a lot of people recently, so then what happens after that—what happens if you don’t have it, or if you don’t have enough?"

The song also serves as a link to the kind of spirituality and mysticism that has been central to morrison's work from such early masterpieces as astral weeks and st. dominic's preview through to more recent triumphs like the healing game and the philosopher's stone. after lamenting "where's god?" as a refrain on "if in money we trust," he immediately follows with the swirling blues of "pagan heart," which finds him searching and casting spells "down by the crossroads/down by the arcadian groves." other songs, like "retreat and view" and "mystic of the east," illustrate morrison's ongoing exploration of divine mystery.

"These are all just ideas," he says of the multiple perspectives offered throughout born to sing. "they're not my beliefs, i'm not proselytizing, it's not some kind of manifesto. songs are just ideas, concepts, and you just put the mic there and go. there are no rules that say you can’t have different ideas—in fact, why not? why not have different ideas?"

From his earliest days, van morrison has channeled the influences of such giants as hank williams, jimmie rodgers, muddy waters, mahalia jackson, and leadbelly. his music has defied boundaries, offering everything from the swinging soul-jazz of moondance to the traditional celtic styles of irish heartbeat. in the last few decades, he has collaborated with a range of artists including john lee hooker, mose allison, and tom jones, and dedicated projects to celebrating and re-exploring his blues, jazz, skiffle, and country roots.

Born to sing, recorded live in the studio with a core six-piece band (plus morrison on piano, guitar, and alto saxophone), extends these musical roots into a signature blend that's impossible to imitate or to categorize. one song, the light-hearted "close enough for jazz," started life as an instrumental, before morrison later decided to add lyrics. "i don’t think in terms of labels," he says. "it's a mix of all of it, a smorgasbord of all music and all my influences, and you hope that it comes out as something new. ray charles has always been my role model—he did everything, including reinventing country music."

The album also marks morrison's return to the storied blue note label, home to many of his jazz idols, for which he last recorded 2003's what's wrong with this picture? the singer says that the affiliation is significant to him. "my father had quite a few of the old blue note records," he says, "and one of first records i had was sidney bechet's 'summertime,' which was on blue note, too."

Despite the album's title, morrison says that he didn't immediately know that he was born to sing. "i didn’t know it was going to be a job until i was maybe fifteen or sixteen and started working in bands," he says. "i was just a kid trying to make my way in life. there was no revelation—it doesn’t work that way."

Ever since then, though, van morrison has offered non-stop revelation to fans around the world. with born to sing, he responds to a time of crisis with solace and insight, vision and wonder, and incomparable soul that shows what happens when you really do create from the heart, with no plan b.

bill horton

Portes ouvertes

Message  bill horton le Ven 10 Aoû 2012 - 20:49

Après Dylan, voilà un premier extrait du prochain album de Van Morrison.

'Open The Door (To Your Heart)' est clairement un exercice de style soul, alors qu'on se souvient qu'Early Roman Gods' était dans une veine très bluesy.

Ceci étant posé, pour le reste, le tarif est à peu près le même pour les deux vétérans...

Ce nouveau single s'écoute ici.

bill horton

Message  california le Ven 24 Aoû 2012 - 6:35

Merci Ernest euh..Bill. Je retiens la date du 2 octobre comme l'une des dates essentielles de la rentrée alors. Excellente nouvelle si le reste est de la même veine que le single. Very Happy
california

http://diaphane10.over-blog.com/

tonight's the night

Message  bill horton le Ven 14 Sep 2012 - 16:13

Pour les parisiens (qui ne savent pas toujours la chance qu'ils ont) c'est ce soir à l'Olympia.

Il reste plein de places (certaines sont bradées) la plupart des gens n'ayant plus envie de voir Van Morrison en concert, tout le contraire de moi qui ne pourrait malheureusement pas en être. Pour tout un tas de raisons.

La vie est mal faite. Wink

bill horton

Message  HibbingSon le Ven 14 Sep 2012 - 17:00

Il en reste en carré or à 220 € ???
HibbingSon

https://www.facebook.com/herve.oudet

Message  bill horton le Ven 14 Sep 2012 - 17:35

HibbingSon a écrit:Il en reste en carré or à 220 € ???

Oui, oui c'est sans doute principalement ce qui reste d'ailleurs. mr green

En fait, il y a eu une vente de dernière minute il y a deux jours, avec des des carré or à moins de moitié prix donc peut être moins cher que le reste de certaines des places (60 à 99€) . Du grand n'importe quoi en somme, comme souvent ces dernières années avec le prix des places de concerts.

bill horton

Message  bill horton le Sam 15 Sep 2012 - 9:02

L'Olympia, Paris, France
14 Septembre 2012

Setlist:

Brown Eyed Girl
Only a Dream
Baby Please Don't Go
Here Comes the Night
Early in the Morning/Going Down Geneva